CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Your lowest mintage? (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=32794)

Alan & Erin Williams April 1st 04 01:48 PM

Your lowest mintage?

It's a certain three-year-old boy's borthday today! Yes, he's been
saddled for life with being an 'April Fool's Day' child, poor tyke.

I have been blasted by the evil Zurg about 45 times already and it's not
even 8AM.
;-)

Anyway, I spent a little time last night after wrapping Buzz Lightyear
in organizing some of the coins in my collection when I had one of those
strange, random,
I've-been-up-too-long thoughts. If your collection was organized from
lowest mintage to highest mintage for each coin, which piece that you
own would be #1?

I have some Barber Quarters, a few 19th century coins, even a 1798 Large
Cent (1,841,745) ;-) but the three 'smallest mintage' coins I own blow
those away. I'll do this as a contest.

Identify these three official US Legal Tender coins by their mintages:

47,955
50,030
57,272

and guess, within $50, what I paid to acquire the three of them. (Public

First correct answer by time-stamp gets as a prize, one of the US coins
that has seen the biggest increase in value since 12/01/03....a 1964
Kennedy Half Dollar, containing .36169 oz of silver. ;-)

Alan
'LQQK! RARE!!'

ELurio April 1st 04 02:59 PM

My lowest mintage is a franklin mint Belize quarter with a mintage of 830.

My lowest US coin is a 1948-D BTW with a mintage of 4000-something. It's in VF
and thus is as close as you can get to unique.

eric l.

Alan & Erin Williams April 1st 04 03:38 PM

ELurio wrote:

My lowest mintage is a franklin mint Belize quarter with a mintage of 830.

My lowest US coin is a 1948-D BTW with a mintage of 4000-something. It's in VF
and thus is as close as you can get to unique.

eric l.

Actually, Redbook gives a mintage of 8005 to your BTW. It's still an
order of magnitude lower than my three 'mini-mintages'. ;-)

Alan
'Book 'Em, Dano!'

Edward McGrath April 1st 04 04:11 PM

I have a low mintage 1916-D mercuruy dime in AU condition, Ok it's
really my fathers dime : )

Chris S April 1st 04 04:55 PM

"Alan & Erin Williams" wrote:
Identify these three official US Legal Tender coins by their mintages:

47,955
50,030
57,272

It's almost scary how easy this kind of stuff is to look up on the internet.
These would be the Oregon, Cleveland, and Botanic Garden commems. I'll guess
you paid $100 +/- $50. If I win, I'll pass on the prize--the notion of a 10%
cut to the Post Office tells me Mr. Kennedy is better off at your house.

--Chris

Winde Walker April 1st 04 05:10 PM

Alan & Erin Williams wrote:

[...]

First off, my complaint is that Commemorative coins are not legal tender
coins...

Having said that they a

47,955 = 1926 Oregon Trail Memorial
50,030 = Cleveland Great Lakes Exposition
57,272 = 1997P Botanical Gardens Silver Dollar

Nice group of commems if I do say so myself. Congratz on having them in
your collection.

Winde
'going to resist this urge to collect modern commems'
'somehow'

Coin Saver April 1st 04 05:27 PM

GGPD.
5,000 Specimens.

8-)
Coin Saver

Winde Walker April 1st 04 05:31 PM

Winde Walker wrote:

Alan & Erin Williams wrote:

[...]

$75.00
50,030 = Cleveland Great Lakes Exposition

$150.00
57,272 = 1997P Botanical Gardens Silver Dollar

$50.00

Nice group of commems if I do say so myself. Congratz on having them in
your collection.

Winde
'going to resist this urge to collect modern commems'
'somehow'

forgot to guess the money before oopsie

Bill Krummel April 1st 04 05:41 PM

"Alan & Erin Williams" wrote in message

Identify these three official US Legal Tender coins by their mintages:

47,955 1926 Oregon
50,030 1936 Cleveland
57,272 1997P Botanic unc

and guess, within $50, what I paid to acquire the three of them. (Public

$170

Bill ( has a 38 & 38-D Boone, 2,100 mintage each)

Dobac April 1st 04 06:07 PM

From: Winde Walker

my complaint is that Commemorative coins are not legal tender

Oh yes they are. Very legal. You can spend them just as any other coin,
legally.

-Dobac
(Math is the Great Equalizer)