CollectingBanter

-   Books (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   ID of Cyrano de Bergerac copy? (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=253099)

bill allemann July 18th 08 04:12 PM

ID of Cyrano de Bergerac copy?

I have an copy of Cyrano de Bergerac publ in 1898 by Lamson, Wolfe, &
Company.
On some edu website, I saw one reference to this version as a first ed
(English translation), but in searching used.addall.com and others, I'm only
seeing versions from other publishers, generally with a green cloth and gold
lettering. This copy is more of a blue cloth with silver lettering. I've
never found this particular version for sale anywhere.
Would a local bookstore/appraiser be likely to have information that I would
not be able to find myself on the internet? I want to sell it on ebay or
whatever, but it is in exceptional condition and I want to find out more
about its value.

Francis A. Miniter[_2_] July 19th 08 01:22 AM

bill allemann wrote:
I have an copy of Cyrano de Bergerac publ in 1898 by Lamson, Wolfe, &
Company.
On some edu website, I saw one reference to this version as a first ed
(English translation), but in searching used.addall.com and others, I'm only
seeing versions from other publishers, generally with a green cloth and gold
lettering. This copy is more of a blue cloth with silver lettering. I've
never found this particular version for sale anywhere.
Would a local bookstore/appraiser be likely to have information that I would
not be able to find myself on the internet? I want to sell it on ebay or
whatever, but it is in exceptional condition and I want to find out more
about its value.

Good start. But you need to bookmark some non-commercial
resources too:

The Library of Congress http://www.loc.gov/z3950/gateway.html
(which lists two copies with an 1898 publication date)

Universitat Karlsruhe (which searches major library systems
worldwide) http://www.ubka.uni-karlsruhe.de/hylib/en/kvk.html
I see from this search that in 2898 there was also a
translation by Gertrude Hall published by Doubleday in
America and by Morang in Toronto. Heinemann also published
a translation in 1898 by Gladys Thomas and MAry Guillemard.
There may be more. Determining which one preceded the
other may be impossible, unless you have access to the
newspapers of the day.

Francis A. Miniter

bill allemann July 19th 08 06:21 AM

ID of Cyrano de Bergerac copy?

Francis,

The LOC had the listing.
(LC Call No.: PQ2635.O7C92 1898c)

It agrees on the date, publisher, number of pages, etc so I guess that's it.
It's a start.

Thanks a lot,
Bill

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message