CollectingBanter

-   Books (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Peculiar dust jackets, part 17 (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=18094)

William M. Klimon June 4th 04 03:10 AM

Peculiar dust jackets, part 17

For my wife, who is interested in such things, tonight I picked up a copy of
Jeffrey Steingarten's *The Man Who Ate Everything and Other Gastronomic
Feats, Disputes, and Pleasurable Pursuits* (Knopf, 1998). The jacket is
entirely taken up with a hugely enlarged picture of a piece of bread, the
spine corresponding to the crust, and in the middle of the spine of the
jacket there is a big faux bite mark, extending into the front and back
covers and revealing the title goldstamped on the spine of the book. An
amusing, if fragile, wrapper.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Art Layton June 4th 04 12:45 PM

"William M. Klimon" wrote in message news:URQvc.3708$ye1.2397@lakeread05...
For my wife, who is interested in such things, tonight I picked up a copy of
Jeffrey Steingarten's *The Man Who Ate Everything and Other Gastronomic
Feats, Disputes, and Pleasurable Pursuits* (Knopf, 1998). The jacket is
entirely taken up with a hugely enlarged picture of a piece of bread, the
spine corresponding to the crust, and in the middle of the spine of the
jacket there is a big faux bite mark, extending into the front and back
covers and revealing the title goldstamped on the spine of the book. An
amusing, if fragile, wrapper.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com

Do I understand correctly that your wife collects books with unusual
dust jackets? Interesting....

Art Layton
Stamford CT

William M. Klimon June 5th 04 12:56 PM

"Art Layton" wrote in message
om...

For my wife, who is interested in such things, tonight I picked up a

copy of
Jeffrey Steingarten's *The Man Who Ate Everything and Other Gastronomic
Feats, Disputes, and Pleasurable Pursuits* (Knopf, 1998). The jacket is
entirely taken up with a hugely enlarged picture of a piece of bread,

the
spine corresponding to the crust, and in the middle of the spine of the
jacket there is a big faux bite mark, extending into the front and back
covers and revealing the title goldstamped on the spine of the book. An
amusing, if fragile, wrapper.

Do I understand correctly that your wife collects books with unusual
dust jackets? Interesting....

No, she is interested in gastronomic writing. I always keep an eye open for
unusual dust jackets. A collection of such is an interesting idea--for
someone else to execute.

William M. Klimon
http://www.gateofbliss.com