CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   1981 "H.R.H. The Prince Of Wales And Lady Diana Spencer" coin (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=38606)

Scott Stevenson December 1st 04 03:38 AM

On 30 Nov 2004 06:20:38 -0800, (hummels) wrote:

Sorry, I was not anticipating a large number of coins with those same
exact inscriptions and images. Here is about as much as I can find to
describe.

It is a silver coin, 3.8 cm diameter and about .3 cm thick. The side
is not smooth, but with very fine groves.

It has a young looking Elizabeth with a crown looking off to the right
side of the coin with the inscription "D. G. REG. F. D." around the
left side and "Elizabeth II" around the right side.

Turn the coin over and there is the image of Diana in the back with
Charles in front both looking off to the left side of the coin.
Centered underneath, is "1981". Around the entire coin starting in
the bottom left is inscribed ""H.R.H. The Prince Of Wales And Lady
Diana Spencer"

It sounds like its the crown-sized coin minted to commemorate the
royal wedding.

Here's a picture of the reverse of that coin
http://www.tclayton.demon.co.uk/pics/dec/25/25p81r.jpg

Is that what you have?

take care,
scott

Asdpoi December 1st 04 03:51 AM

The inscriptions match the British crown that was released in honor of their
wedding. The "face value" (not shown on the coin) would be 1/4 pound, or about
48 cents American at current exchange rates. I believe upwards of 25 million of
these coins were struck in base metal, and consequently are worth very little.
A smaller number were made in silver, and might be worth a bit more.

Christian Feldhaus December 1st 04 12:56 PM

John Stone wrote:

If there is no indication of a country of origin it might be a privately
issued medal and not actually a coin.

Don't think so. A "piece" featuring Elizabeth II, with the "D. G. REG.
F. D." inscription will usually be a British coin. Those older "crowns"
do not show the face value (25p) either, but are still coins :-) This
one could be KM#925 (Cu-Ni) or 925a (silver) ...

Christian

[email protected] December 7th 04 04:11 PM

Yep. That looks like it. Also noticed what appears to be "pn" under
Charles' collar.

Is the coin worth much?

[email protected] December 7th 04 04:13 PM

The one I have is silver in color.

[email protected] December 7th 04 04:13 PM

The one I have is silver in color.

Scott Stevenson December 7th 04 06:44 PM

On 7 Dec 2004 08:11:02 -0800, wrote:

Yep. That looks like it. Also noticed what appears to be "pn" under
Charles' collar.

Those would be the initials of the designer

Is the coin worth much?

I think I paid a buck or two for mine.

take care,
Scott

[email protected] October 4th 14 10:38 AM

1981 "H.R.H. The Prince Of Wales And Lady Diana Spencer" coin

How much is it worth plz x

Peter Irwin October 4th 14 06:26 PM

1981 "H.R.H. The Prince Of Wales And Lady Diana Spencer" coin

wrote:
How much is it worth plz x

The 1981 Charles and Diana crown is worth a bare minimum of 25p.
It is theoretically spendable at that amount, although you might
get people looking at you oddly.

If it is in better than average uncirculated condition, it might be
worth a bit more. If you have the silver proof issue rather than
the cupronickel circulation strike it will be worth at least its
silver content.

Peter.

[email protected] November 16th 14 07:18 PM

1981 "H.R.H. The Prince Of Wales And Lady Diana Spencer" coin

On Monday, November 22, 2004 1:47:26 PM UTC-5, John Stone wrote:
(hummels) wrote in message om...
I have a Silver coin with "D G REG F D" "Elizabeth II" and a young
looking Elizabeth on one side, and "H.R.H. The Prince Of Wales And
Lady Diana Spencer" "1981" on the other.

I'm looking for the value of this coin. In my searches, I've seen
anywhere from 30 US cents up to $35. (even one listed selling for
$200, but then people can ask for anything they want!!)

I've also seen it listed as Austrailian as well as British.

It would depend on where it was from and the condition. The UK and
Commonwealth issued a multitude of wedding coins for Chuck and Di in
1981.

Those coins are kind of sad now, the marriage was a mistake right from
the
start.

Their marriage was not a mistake. Look at all of the good she was able to do with her fame. Look at how many children she helped? She was one of the first people to show that AIDS patients didn't have to be treated like lepers. And that marriage produced at least one boy worthy of ruling someday who has fearlessly served his country and continues to keep his mother's legacy of charity and compassion alive. A mistake....I think not.