CollectingBanter

-   Pens & Pencils (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Waterman Carene leaks around nib (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=155402)

Halsted Mencotti Bernard December 9th 05 03:08 AM

Waterman Carene leaks around nib

Howdy, folks. I tried to post this to an earlier thread mentioning a
leaky Carene nib, but the thread had no "reply" function. It must have
been too old. So here goes ...

I have a Waterman Carene that leaks ink around the base of the nib, so
much so that I cannot write with it without getting ink all over my
fingers. I have fairly small hands, so I wonder if it's my fault for,
er, "choking up" on the pen too much.

My question is, is this a known issue with the Carene, and might it be
repaired? Or is it just my issue since I have such small hands? I
don't want to go to the trouble to send it back to Waterman just to
find out it's my own problem.

Thanks for your advice.
_halsted._

Dov December 10th 05 09:25 AM

Waterman Carene leaks around nib

Bernard this is precisely the reason I sold my carene. It's a poor man's
edson and not a very good one at theat.

Send to waterman, their CS is same as Parker as I recall and they mayt well
replaace. Or exchange for something else. It's a known problem

ups.com...

Halsted Mencotti Bernard December 12th 05 04:43 PM

Waterman Carene leaks around nib

Ah, good to know it wasn't just me. I'll send it to the Waterman
service center. Thanks.

May I ask what you use that's comparable? I love the design of the
Carene.

_halsted._

so what December 13th 05 02:11 PM

Waterman Carene leaks around nib

Hi Halsted,

I have a blue Parker Ellipse, which is similar to Carene (at least I
think it is).

www.joon.com
www.swisherpens.com
www.fountainpenhosptial.com

Check those places and see if they have it.

so what December 13th 05 02:15 PM

Waterman Carene leaks around nib

OOOPS!!
www.fountainpenhospital.com
Sorry for typo.

BL December 13th 05 03:39 PM

"so what" wrote:
Hi Halsted,

I have a blue Parker Ellipse, which is similar to
Carene (at least I think it is).

The inlaid nib is the thing that distinguishes the Carene from other
pens. I don't have an Ellipse, but IIRC, its nib is largely external
(maybe a tiny bit hooded up near the section). Is that correct? If the
inlaid nib is the thing that Halsted likes about the Carene's design,
perhaps a Sheaffer Legacy or some such pen with inlaid nib would be more
to his liking? -- B

Halsted Mencotti Bernard December 13th 05 04:38 PM

Waterman Carene leaks around nib

More to her liking, not his. :) And yes, I would like an inlaid nib
(that doesn't leak).

_halsted._

Bruce Herbitter December 14th 05 01:56 AM

BL wrote:
I don't have an Ellipse, but IIRC, its nib is largely external
(maybe a tiny bit hooded up near the section). Is that correct? If the
inlaid nib is the thing that Halsted likes about the Carene's design,
perhaps a Sheaffer Legacy or some such pen with inlaid nib would be more
to his liking? -- B

B:

I think the 60's Sheaffer Imperials, with the "porpoise" nose sections
and partially inset nibs might also please. The barrel end of the Carene
is truncated to resemble the back of a yacht, and I don;t of any other
pens styled that way. The Parker Ellipse is certainly made with the same
feel as the Carene, and may be a more reliable pen. To me, both the
Ellipse and the Carene write, as many modern Watermans do, like a smooth
nail. With Parker and Waterman now roommates, it is no wonder that they
resemble each other in style and performance.

B2