CollectingBanter

-   Books (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Doomsday Book (Connie Willis), 1st Edition or BCE? (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=316030)

paratize May 15th 11 06:36 AM

Doomsday Book (Connie Willis), 1st Edition or BCE?

Hello Folks -
Yes, I did do a search on this newgroup for any discussions related to
this book, and I found one that mentions that the 1st Edition has a
price listed in the book, whereas the book club edition does not. And
if I go just by that, then I can say my copy is a BCE. HOWEVER, two
people also mentioned that the BCE is an inch shorter than the real
1st Edition. But I measured my book, and it is the same size as the
supposed 'real' 1st Edition. So now I'm still unsure of what I have.
Is it possible that there was yet another edition of the book printed
out there that nobody is aware of? Or, is there any other way to
confirm beyond the shadow of a doubt that the book is in fact a BCE or
not?
Of course this makes a huge difference to the value of the book, so I
want to be sure one way or the other.
Thanks a lot for any help you can give...
TIM

paratize May 15th 11 06:38 AM

On May 14, 10:36*pm, paratize wrote:
[...]

(By the way, just to clarify, it is a HARDCOVER by Spectra (Bantam)
listed as 1992 on the copyright page).

J[_2_] May 15th 11 12:48 PM

Doomsday Book (Connie Willis), 1st Edition or BCE?

My copy has the $22 price on the dust jacket flap, and a number line
on the copyright page that includes "1". If yours doesn't have these,
it's most likely not a first edition. (There are other book club
markers some other poster may know better...)