CollectingBanter

-   Books (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   John F. Kennedy Signature (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=165418)

Scrooge March 1st 06 04:52 AM

John F. Kennedy Signature

I know it's very, very, very doubtful, but I thought I'd ask.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=2/5821173739.jpg&s=x402

I have no reason to believe this is a forgery for monetary gain. I bought it
at a
library sale for 50 cents. It is on the front free endpaper of a beat-up
book club edition
of PT 109. I imagine it was just someone screwing around.

From the research I've done, President Kennedy had many different signature
styles.
I've looked at a few examples online, but I would like your opinions.

Does anyone have a copy of The Robot That Helped Make a President?

Also notice the black circle above and to the left of the name. That is a
fingerprint.
Maybe the black rectangle in the upper right corner was used as a makeshift
ink pad?
I don't know.

Another thought, when was the book club edition first published? There is
only the 1961 date
on the copyright page.

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Jon Meyers March 1st 06 05:19 AM

John F. Kennedy Signature

Scrooge wrote:
I know it's very, very, very doubtful, but I thought I'd ask.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=2/5821173739.jpg&s=x402

I have no reason to believe this is a forgery for monetary gain. I bought it
at a
library sale for 50 cents. It is on the front free endpaper of a beat-up
book club edition
of PT 109. I imagine it was just someone screwing around.

From the research I've done, President Kennedy had many different signature
styles.
I've looked at a few examples online, but I would like your opinions.

Does anyone have a copy of The Robot That Helped Make a President?

Also notice the black circle above and to the left of the name. That is a
fingerprint.
Maybe the black rectangle in the upper right corner was used as a makeshift
ink pad?
I don't know.

Another thought, when was the book club edition first published? There is
only the 1961 date
on the copyright page.

I have to preface this with the usual "I'm not an expert," but I agree
with you: This signature is not genuine. Here's a page of JFK AutoPen
sigs: http://www.geocities.com/~sbeck/autopens/ap-jfk.htm You can see
that, although Kennedy did have a wide range of sigs, he never used the
classic cursive "J" as in your example. Also, it doesn't look like he
was in the practice of including the middle initial.

I looked at several other JFK sigs offered by reputable dealers, and
none resembled yours. You can see the examples I looked at by going to
the sites of these dealers:
http://www.historyforsale.com/html/default.asp
http://www.raabcollection.com/default.aspx
http://www.universityarchives.com/

--Jon Meyers

Scrooge March 1st 06 06:14 AM

John F. Kennedy Signature

I have to preface this with the usual "I'm not an expert," but I agree
with you: This signature is not genuine. Here's a page of JFK AutoPen
sigs: http://www.geocities.com/~sbeck/autopens/ap-jfk.htm You can see
that, although Kennedy did have a wide range of sigs, he never used the
classic cursive "J" as in your example. Also, it doesn't look like he was
in the practice of including the middle initial.

I looked at several other JFK sigs offered by reputable dealers, and none
resembled yours. You can see the examples I looked at by going to the
sites of these dealers:
http://www.historyforsale.com/html/default.asp
http://www.raabcollection.com/default.aspx
http://www.universityarchives.com/

--Jon Meyers

Thanks Jon,

I guess a couple from this page threw me. There are 2 items ( 75 and 750
pounds ) with the looping J at the below site,
but on closer inspection, neither one says that it's his signature. (Really
just ephemera)

http://www.frasersautographs.com/gal...kenne dy&pg=1

But how cool would that have been to have his fingerprint?

Thanks again,
Rich