CollectingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Argentine "Prostitution" stamps. (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=113984)

Tony Vella December 12th 03 04:36 AM

Argentine "Prostitution" stamps.

I was recently given 4 Argentine "prostitution" stamps all from the city of
Rosario. The story that came with them has it that between 1910 and 1935
all registered prostitutes in the cities of Rosario and Buenos Aires had to
have a medical examination every Wednesday. If found healthy the doctor
would issue a certificate with a "servicio sanitario" stamp attached and the
ladies would, if requested, show it to their clients. These stamps cost 1
peso in Rosario and 2 pesos in Buenos Aires. I would like to have some
points confirmed/explained.

1. Why was this required only of the prostitutes of Buenos Aires and
Rosario?
2. Why were the ladies in Buenos Aires charged twice as much as those in
Rosario?
3. Why did all medical exams have to take place on Wednesday? Is/was
Wednesday a slow-day in the industry?

I hesitate to bring this up on alt.culture.argentina because the replies
will certainly have nothing to do with stamps.

Thanks in advance.

Bienvenidas también respuestas privadas en español (- nogo). Gracias de
antemano.
--
Tony Vella in Ottawa, Canada

remove nogo for reply

TC December 12th 03 05:43 AM

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 03:36:38 GMT, "Tony Vella"
wrote:

[...]

Maybe alt.culture.argentina is more appropriate,
as these questions are Off Topic for a stamps news group.

We had a discussion here about the stamps and I posted
some links to the stamps of the Servicio Sanitario.

As to your questions, we could only SPECULATE here.

Some other questions that might shed light a
- Was the industry municipally controlled?
(after all the revenues were municipal)

- Did municipalities set their own fees?

- Was the volume of industry workers sufficient
in other municipalities to warrent special stamps?
(there are other ways to update permits)
(BA and Rosario are the 2 biggest Argentine cities)

Blair

Tony Vella December 12th 03 03:30 PM

TC wrote:
Tony :

Maybe alt.culture.argentina is more appropriate,
as these questions are Off Topic for a stamps news group.

We had a discussion here about the stamps and I posted
some links to the stamps of the Servicio Sanitario.

As to your questions, we could only SPECULATE here.

Some other questions that might shed light a
- Was the industry municipally controlled?
(after all the revenues were municipal)

- Did municipalities set their own fees?

- Was the volume of industry workers sufficient
in other municipalities to warrent special stamps?
(there are other ways to update permits)
(BA and Rosario are the 2 biggest Argentine cities)

Hello Blair.

Thank you very much for bringing to mind even more questions I would like
answered about my gift. Yes, I received a gift and tried to find out more
about it in what I thought was a light-hearted manner. I still would like
to know, for example, why one city paid 1 peso and another paid 2 pesos for
basically the same stamp, and whether all known stamp cancellations bear a
Wednesday date - unfortunately on all my 4 stamps the cancellations are
illegible except for the "SANA". If you are an expert on Argentina then you
are the man for me. I could come up with a million questions about that
country including about initialled departmental officials.

A point that mystifies me in your reply: You refer to my stamps as stamps
and tell me you had a discussion on RCSD about them. You then judged my
questions about these same stamps off topic. Was it because I deliberately
tried to coat my questions in levity? Should I have been more serious and
pontifical in my choice of words?

Again I thank you very much for your questions. I promise to thank you even
more profusely if you can provide me with some answers. I am really curious
--
Tony Vella in Ottawa, Canada

remove nogo for reply

TC December 13th 03 05:00 AM

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 14:30:55 GMT, "Tony Vella"
wrote:

[...]

Hi Tony:

No offense intended. I'm no expert on Argentina. The previous
thread was on these stamps and as such would be on topic here.

As we get into why a fee is 1 Peso in Rosario and 2 Pesos in Buenos
Aires, we're still marginally on the topic of stamps. [My assumption
was that each municipality could set its own licence fee)
Also it COULD be that the workers made more in the capital city.

However for anyone here to reply with first hand experience, they
would have to have lived in Buenos Aires or Rosario pre 1935 and
to have been "of age" at the time. That would put them at 90+
years of age now.

That's why I suggested the other (Argentine) newsgroup as a better
source for an authoritative reply. They may actually have some 90
year old Argentines posting, even if we do not.

When we get into "why only on Wednesday?" We're getting a little
further from stamps. Your guess was probably the same that I would
make. Wednesday was a slow day compared to Fridays and weekends.

I suspect that we may never find the answers to your questions,
much less in RCSD.

Blair

tony December 15th 03 12:04 AM

In message ers.com
"Tony Vella" wrote:

TC wrote:
[...]

Personally I found them as on topic as it is possible to get - we cannot
exclude revenues and their origin from this discussion group.

Perhaps the Buenos Aires doctors charged more - like London doctors in the UK.

Again I thank you very much for your questions. I promise to thank you even
more profusely if you can provide me with some answers. I am really curious

--
Tony Clayton or
Coins of the UK :

Bob Ingraham December 15th 03 01:43 AM

12/14/2003 3:04 PM

In message ers.com
"Tony Vella" wrote:

TC wrote:
[...]

Nah. This (not prostitution, but tangential questions) is just what I like
about stamp and cover collecting. Stamps result from life, not the other way
around. If you can tell an interesting story as a result of these revenue
stamps, go for it!

Bob