CollectingBanter

-   Juke Boxes (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Polishing scratches out of brushed aluminum? (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=7803)

Jjmscf March 4th 04 03:20 PM

Polishing scratches out of brushed aluminum?

Is there any way to polish scratches out of brushed aluminum and restore the
brushed look?I have a Rockola 450 that has this around the keyboard area.It has
several light but distracting scratches in this area,none that you can feel
though.I tried in a hidden area under the plastic around the reject lever and
coin entry with fine emery cloth smoothing out a scratch and I got the scratch
but there is also no grain anymore in that area.Looks wierd compared to the
surrounding area,real shiny.Maybe you just have to live with scratches on
brushed aluminum unless someone knows a technique for restoring brushed
aluminum.

Tony Miklos March 9th 04 07:55 PM

Jjmscf wrote:

Is there any way to polish scratches out of brushed aluminum and restore the
brushed look?I have a Rockola 450 that has this around the keyboard area.It has
several light but distracting scratches in this area,none that you can feel
though.I tried in a hidden area under the plastic around the reject lever and
coin entry with fine emery cloth smoothing out a scratch and I got the scratch
but there is also no grain anymore in that area.Looks wierd compared to the
surrounding area,real shiny.Maybe you just have to live with scratches on
brushed aluminum unless someone knows a technique for restoring brushed
aluminum.

I've sanded out the scratches in brushed aluminum, also sanding the
entire piece for a uniform look. Then used a combination of courser
sandpaper very lightly, and a wire wheel on a grinder to give it the
brushed look. It came out looking darn nice! Practice with some scrap
aluminum. A brass wire wheel may work better than a steel one.
Careful, some *brass looking* wire wheels are only brass plated! (bring
a magnet if you go to buy one) When you have it looking good, spray it
with a satin finish polyurethane. (or semi gloss, or gloss depending on
what the rest of the pieces look like.)

--
Tony