CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Help on telling repro (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=24519)

Linda July 29th 03 12:34 AM

Help on telling repro

I sent this earlier but I never saw it post, so please forgive if it is a duplicate, but I'm also not seeing any replies. Can anybody give me a short course in how to tell a good, circulated reproduction of a liberty quarter from the real deal?

Phil DeMayo July 29th 03 01:06 AM

"Linda" requested help:

.....snip......

Yikes....this one came through as HTML

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits

Linda July 29th 03 02:33 AM

AH HA! I think I figured it out. If the one I reply to has html, mine
defaults to an HTML reply even if I have it set to "plain text," but if I
flip it to "html" and then back to plain, it will fix it.

crc2074 July 29th 03 03:19 AM

"Linda" wrote in message
. com...
AH HA! I think I figured it out. If the one I reply to has html, mine
defaults to an HTML reply even if I have it set to "plain text," but if I
flip it to "html" and then back to plain, it will fix it.

Linda, check your settings under Tools-Options-Send. Is the box "Reply to
messages using the format in which they were sent" checked? If so, remove
the checkmark. On the same tab, then select "Plain Text" under News Sending
Format.
HTH
JimP

Phil DeMayo July 29th 03 05:31 AM

"Linda" responds to "crc2074":

THANKS!!! That was it, yes

If so, why did this response come through as HTML?
A number of your other most recent messages also came through as HTML tonight.

++++++++++

Linda July 29th 03 06:50 AM

I HAVE NO IDEA. REALLY!!! I'm sorry. I've selected "plain text" and I made
that change suggested about unclicking the "reply in html" -- please, don't
beat me. I am NOT doing this on purpose or out of perversity. I don't know
it goes out that way. I am *trying* to fix it. My apologies!!!!

SF July 29th 03 10:47 AM

Mine does the same thing, Linda.. I always have to check to see what its
replying as...

Sam

"Linda" wrote in message
. com...
: I HAVE NO IDEA. REALLY!!! I'm sorry. I've selected "plain text" and I
made
: that change suggested about unclicking the "reply in html" -- please,
don't
: beat me. I am NOT doing this on purpose or out of perversity. I don't
know
: it goes out that way. I am *trying* to fix it. My apologies!!!!
:
: "Phil DeMayo" wrote in message
: ...
: "Linda" responds to "crc2074":
:
: THANKS!!! That was it, yes
:
: If so, why did this response come through as HTML?
: A number of your other most recent messages also came through as HTML
: tonight.
:
:
: ++++++++++

High Plains Writer July 29th 03 04:43 PM

"Linda" wrote
Can anybody give me a
short course in how to tell a good, circulated reproduction of a liberty
quarter from the real deal?

Anything than can be counterfeited will be. I have seen poor copies
of Large Cents and much else, all fairly common. That said, generally
speaking, there is not much reason TODAY to go through the trouble of
making a counterfeit Seated Quarter (or Standing Liberty; you do not
specify which Type). HOWEVER, any uncommon date or mintmark will be
faked.

The usual benchmarks are to look for a "soapy", "bubbly" or rough
surface. Make sure the coin has ridges along the rim (not always a
true test, but one test). Look for casting flash or file marks on the
rim. Basically, the best way to know is to get a genuine coin of that
Type and compare yours to it.

Alan & Erin Williams July 29th 03 04:47 PM

High Plains Writer wrote:

"Linda" wrote
Can anybody give me a
short course in how to tell a good, circulated reproduction of a liberty
quarter from the real deal?

Anything than can be counterfeited will be. I have seen poor copies
of Large Cents and much else, all fairly common. That said, generally
speaking, there is not much reason TODAY to go through the trouble of
making a counterfeit Seated Quarter (or Standing Liberty; you do not
specify which Type). HOWEVER, any uncommon date or mintmark will be
faked.

The usual benchmarks are to look for a "soapy", "bubbly" or rough
surface. Make sure the coin has ridges along the rim (not always a
true test, but one test). Look for casting flash or file marks on the
rim. Basically, the best way to know is to get a genuine coin of that
Type and compare yours to it.

There are several good books about counterfeit detection that explain
the flaws of cast and die-struck fakes. I was helped immensely in my
understanding by the Hancock and Spanbauer "Standard Catalog of United
States Altered and Counterfeit Coins". It's a few decades old now, but
as a guide to contemporary counterfeits and criminal methods through
1973 it is more than adequate.

Alan
'makes a good start'