CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What is this? Penny on one side dime on the other !? (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=32200)

Kramer March 12th 04 04:27 AM

What is this? Penny on one side dime on the other !?

Hello All,

When I was a kid I tried my hand at coin collecting but never carried it very far. Am now in my mid 40's and Mom hands me an old stamp collection that was my fathers. Have been selling parts of that collection off and assembling my own collection out of it.

Now Mom hands me a small sack of old coins I had asked her to hold that we both had forgotten about. Pretty straightforward stuff until the sack reveals a coin, looks like its somehow clad 2 coins together, the face is a 1936 Lincoln penny head, the reverse is a reverse of a dime of that era.

I have no recollection of this coin at all. An examination of the edge clearly shows 2 distinctly different metals. It also has a hollow sound to it when dropped on a glass table, as opposed to the ring of a penny or dime.

Can anyone tell me what I've got here?

Best Regards, Kramer

Aladdin Sane March 12th 04 04:56 AM

Sounds like you have a 1936 "Republican" Nickle. Promises you a dime but in the end is only worth a penny.

--
*
/?\

A conclusion is simply the place
where you decided to stop thinking.

Ira Stein March 12th 04 12:28 PM

Kramer asks:

snip

Now Mom hands me a small sack of old coins I had asked her to hold that =
we both had forgotten about. Pretty straightforward stuff until the =
sack reveals a coin, looks like its somehow clad 2 coins together, the =
face is a 1936 Lincoln penny head, the reverse is a reverse of a dime of =
that era. =20

I have no recollection of this coin at all. An examination of the edge =
clearly shows 2 distinctly different metals. It also has a hollow sound =
to it when dropped on a glass table, as opposed to the ring of a penny =
or dime. =20

Can anyone tell me what I've got here?

Yes. It's a novelty known as a magician's coin. Used as a pocket trick for
decades. The magician seems to turn a cent into a dime,(by flipping the coin).
Worth about $1.

Ira Stein

Kramer March 12th 04 01:26 PM

... the face is a 1936 Lincoln penny head, the reverse is a reverse of a
dime of that era ... Can anyone tell me what I've got here?

Yes. It's a novelty known as a magician's coin. Used as a pocket trick for

decades. The magician seems to turn a cent into a dime,(by flipping the
coin) ... Worth about $1.

Thanks Ira

Richard Schumacher March 12th 04 03:14 PM

Aladdin Sane wrote:

Sounds like you have a 1936 "Republican" Nickle. Promises you a dime
but in the end is only worth a penny.

Now Mom hands me a small sack of old coins I had asked her
to hold that we both had forgotten about. Pretty
straightforward stuff until the sack reveals a coin, looks
like its somehow clad 2 coins together, the face is a 1936
Lincoln penny head, the reverse is a reverse of a dime of
that era. I have no recollection of this coin at all. An
examination of the edge clearly shows 2 distinctly different
metals. It also has a hollow sound to it when dropped on a
glass table, as opposed to the ring of a penny or dime.

How very timely! Maybe I can have a few modern examples made...

Coin Saver March 12th 04 06:47 PM

From: iras4

Kramer asks:
a coin, looks like its somehow 2 coins together, the face is a Lincoln penny

head, the reverse is a reverse of a dime / Can anyone tell me what I've got
here?

Yes. It's a novelty known as a magician's coin. Used as a pocket trick for

decades. The magician seems to turn a cent into a dime,(by flipping the coin).
Worth about $1.

These retail for about $3.95 or so, depending on the magic shop. There is an
interesting scam that a few unethical sleight of hand artists use this for,
similar to the shell game scam.

There are 3 opaque shot glasses. The scammer shows the mark 2 pennies and a
dime. As he places them under the shot glasses, he "secretly" flips the dime to
show the penny side up ... you get the idea. The mark can never find the dime.

8-o

Coin Saver