CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   British Trade Dollar (1901) - Where is the mint mark? (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=143941)

Jim Seymour September 5th 05 03:51 AM

British Trade Dollar (1901) - Where is the mint mark?

In my endless quest to properly catalog my world coin collection...

I have a 1901 British Trade Dollar (KM#T5 in the 2005 SCWC, page 927).
I can't find a mint mark anywhere on the thing, yet the writeup seems to
indicate that it should have either a "B" (Bombay) or a "C" (Calcutta).

Anyone know where to look? Am I missing something?

--
Jim Seymour

James Higby September 5th 05 01:55 PM

"Jim Seymour" wrote in message
In my endless quest to properly catalog my world coin collection...

I have a 1901 British Trade Dollar (KM#T5 in the 2005 SCWC, page 927). I
can't find a mint mark anywhere on the thing, yet the writeup seems to
indicate that it should have either a "B" (Bombay) or a "C" (Calcutta).

Anyone know where to look? Am I missing something?

--
Jim Seymour

Check out the center prong of the trident and tell us what you see.

James

Jim Seymour September 5th 05 04:23 PM

James Higby wrote:
"Jim Seymour" wrote in message
I have a 1901 British Trade Dollar (KM#T5 in the 2005 SCWC, page 927). I
can't find a mint mark anywhere on the thing, yet the writeup seems to
indicate that it should have either a "B" (Bombay) or a "C" (Calcutta).

Anyone know where to look? Am I missing something?

Check out the center prong of the trident and tell us what you see.

Aw, crep. I see a worn and mangled mess. (This particular coin appears
to have had some adventures over the years).

If that's where I have to look, I'll put it down as "1901" and not
identify the mint mark.

Thanks, though.

--
Jim Seymour