CollectingBanter

-   Pens & Pencils (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   trying to identify unique pen / pecil (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=9739)

marty January 17th 04 06:52 PM

trying to identify unique pen / pecil

I have an old (early 1900's ??) pen /pencil. I found it over twenty
years ago and recently have been trying to learn its history.
It is a silver tube about 3/8" wide and 5" long. It has a slide-out
pencil lead (replaceable)and a slide-out ink nib (no bladder, it must
be dipped in inkwell). The shaft is embossed with the days of the week
and a 31 day calander below. By rotating the shaft and lining up the
first day of the month with the appropriate day of the week, it is a
perpetual calender. In addition, it has a swing out stamp pad and ink
pad on the end. It still has the ink pad but has never had
(apparently) a stamp. I think it may have been an advertising item.
Finally, at the very end (top) is a replaceable eraser.
I have looked in tons of books and displays but have never seen
anything remotely like it. I have also tried looking on "the web" to
no avail.If any one who has any information about this rarity, I would
love to hear from you.
My e-mail address is . I could send a picture if
neede and would be willing to sell

Ghost January 17th 04 09:27 PM

In article ,
(marty) wrote:

[...]

Sheesh... sounds like a Swiss army knife to me... or would that be a Swiss
army pen??? lol

marty January 25th 04 06:20 PM

(Ghost) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(marty) wrote:

[...]

thanks for no info, "ghost", but I really could use some help here?? any ideas??

Joe120 January 27th 04 12:49 AM

You have what can be broadly described as a Victorian pen/pencil. Many
companies made these writing instruments from the 1820's thru the 1920's. They
were created in many, many interesting styles. Obviously too, the proper
Victorian period is more closely defined. Some of these writing instruments
were identifiable with a makers mark - others were not.
Two good sources of Victorian pens and pencils: Debra Crosby's book 'Tools
To Jewels' and John Loring's web site
'http://www.loringpage.com/pens/pencollection.htm'
Have a great day!

Joe Nemecek