CollectingBanter

-   General Discussion (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Identifying a british postmark (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=320949)

Marcel Lajus April 29th 12 03:18 PM

Identifying a british postmark

Good evening,

I've got 2 wrappers
http://cjoint.com/?0DDqcH9eBud
http://cjoint.com/?0DDqdtxCaw3

and I don't know anything about this kind of postmarks.
They seem to be sent from London EC (The Edward VII one has a return address
The Times Office, EC, and the other one has also mention of London EC on the
back).
As they were sent to a foreign country (Germany and France respectively), I
thought that these postmaks were used in the Foreign Branch for Newspapers.
But on my "Collect british postmarks" I cannot see them, and my Parmenter
(London) gives very few information about Foreign Branch.
Can anyone help me ? Do you know a book that could give me some more
informations (conditions of use, meaning of the letters, different types...)

Thanks for your help

Marcel

Sir F.A. Rien April 30th 12 04:24 PM

Identifying a british postmark

I've got 2 wrappers
http://cjoint.com/?0DDqcH9eBud

Alcock & Holland Type 1559
Foreign Section, Newspaper cancel

http://cjoint.com/?0DDqdtxCaw3

I think it's an Inland section Newspaper - but I don't have an exact
match

Can anyone help me ? Do you know a book that could give me some more
informations (conditions of use, meaning of the letters, different types...)

"British Postmarks - A Short History & Guide" - Alcock & Holland

Marcel Lajus May 3rd 12 09:42 PM

"Sir F.A. Rien" a écrit dans le message de news:
I've got 2 wrappers
http://cjoint.com/?0DDqcH9eBud
Alcock & Holland Type 1559
Foreign Section, Newspaper cancel

http://cjoint.com/?0DDqdtxCaw3

I think it's an Inland section Newspaper - but I don't have an exact
match

Can anyone help me ? Do you know a book that could give me some more
informations (conditions of use, meaning of the letters, different
types...)

"British Postmarks - A Short History & Guide" - Alcock & Holland

Thank you for the information.
I'm going to try to find this book...

A+
Marcel

Sir F.A. Rien May 4th 12 05:55 PM

Identifying a british postmark

"British Postmarks - A Short History & Guide" - Alcock & Holland

Thank you for the information.
I'm going to try to find this book...

Not everything is covered. It's the 'basic' reference for types. If
you need very detailed, then the full A&H book[s] are needed, but they
are very expensive!