CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Thanks to Tom Chao, stonej, Arizona (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=263424)

Mike Marotta December 30th 08 01:13 AM

Thanks to Tom Chao, stonej, Arizona

I really appreciate the news gathering you guys do.

I wrote up Tom Chao's site about 18 months ago, but the upgrades have
been astounding.
All in all you make the newsgroups, newsy.

Thanks!
Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Tugging forelock"

Tom Chao December 30th 08 02:01 AM

On Dec 29, 8:13*pm, Mike Marotta wrote:
I really appreciate the news gathering you guys do.

I wrote up Tom Chao's site about 18 months ago, but the upgrades have
been astounding.
All in all you make the newsgroups, newsy.

Thanks!
Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Tugging forelock"

Mike, thank you very much for your kind words.
Tom Chao

stonej December 30th 08 04:01 PM

Thanks to Tom Chao, stonej, Arizona

On Dec 30, 1:40*am, "Arizona Coin Collector"
wrote:
"Tom Chao" wrote in message

On Dec 29, 8:13 pm, Mike Marotta wrote:

I really appreciate the news gathering you guys do.

I wrote up Tom Chao's site about 18 months ago, but the upgrades have
been astounding.
All in all you make the newsgroups, newsy.

Thanks!
Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Tugging forelock"

Mike, thank you very much for your kind words.
Tom Chao

Same here. (Az)....

Thanks, I enjoy doing it. stonej

mazorj December 30th 08 08:27 PM

wrote:
"Tom Chao" wrote in message

On Dec 29, 8:13 pm, Mike Marotta wrote:

I really appreciate the news gathering you guys do.

I wrote up Tom Chao's site about 18 months ago, but the upgrades
have
been astounding.
All in all you make the newsgroups, newsy.

Thanks!
Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Tugging forelock"

Mike, thank you very much for your kind words.
Tom Chao

Same here. (Az)....

Thanks, I enjoy doing it. stonej

Your posts are one of the few reliable sources of actual numismatic
information here, so keep it up. I don't check every link but the
ones that do catch my eye always are worth the time to check them out.
mazorj

BTW, your Nom de Web (stonej) suggests that like me, your online
activity dates back to the DOS days when filenames could only be 8
characters long and usernames often were limited to 6 characters.
Might that be the case? Not that it matters, just wondering if you're
a fellow member of the computer geezer generation.

[email protected] December 30th 08 09:16 PM

On Dec 30, 3:27�pm, "mazorj" wrote:
Your posts are one of the few reliable sources of actual numismatic
information here, so keep it up. �I don't check every link but the
ones that do catch my eye always are worth the time to check them out.
mazorj

Hear hear! I'm still trying to figure out how he does it. He's mined
some very esoteric stuff, day in and day out.

~Anka

Jud December 30th 08 11:13 PM

Thanks to Tom Chao, stonej, Arizona

I have said in the past, and will say it again, you are my favorite
newsreader. Now I have others to add to my list! Thanks!

mazorj December 30th 08 11:41 PM

wrote in message
On Dec 30, 3:27?pm, "mazorj" wrote:
Your posts are one of the few reliable sources of actual numismatic
information here, so keep it up. ?I don't check every link but the
ones that do catch my eye always are worth the time to check them
out.
mazorj

Hear hear! I'm still trying to figure out how he does it. He's
mined

some very esoteric stuff, day in and day out.

At work we have a standing Google search using a few keyword terms.
We get 10-20 news and blog items a day. The real work if you have a
good Web crawler or two fetching their finds is screening and
categorizing them all. Not that I ever would want to trivialize our
posters' efforts. I know how tedious and time-consuming that task can
be. Add to that a routine of checking online sources not covered by
your search service (such as numismatic websites) and it all adds up
to a labor of love.

PC[_7_] January 18th 09 03:41 PM

"Mike Marotta" wrote in message
I really appreciate the news gathering you guys do.

I wrote up Tom Chao's site about 18 months ago, but the upgrades have
been astounding.
All in all you make the newsgroups, newsy.

Thanks!
Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Tugging forelock"

I appreciate the posted news items as well. The plain links with no
newsgroup content for some reason seem too burdensome to click so I seldom
read those. g