CollectingBanter

-   US Stamps (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Question about censored mail (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=245151)

ZLorca March 19th 08 06:18 PM

Question about censored mail

Hi,
I've seen some vintage postcards and letters from Russia around 1917 and
WWII US that have had censored marked on the envelope.

Typically how were letters and postcards censored? Did the offensive
material get blacked out or where the letters just not delivered?

Thanks!

Blair (TC) March 20th 08 02:22 AM

On Mar 19, 2:18 pm, "ZLorca" wrote:
Hi,
I've seen some vintage postcards and letters from Russia around 1917 and
WWII US that have had censored marked on the envelope.

Typically how were letters and postcards censored? Did the offensive
material get blacked out or where the letters just not delivered?

Thanks!

Depending on the situation, either could apply.

Blair