CollectingBanter

-   Coins (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   ORIGINAL 1804 Liberty Silver Dollar found in the Philippines (HELP ME FIND A BUYER) (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=24408)

Bruce Hickmott July 25th 03 03:14 PM

On 25 Jul 2003 07:07:07 -0700, (roger salarzon) is alleged to
have written:

I have a coin Liberty 1804 Silver Dollar. As i personally assessed the
weight of this coin is 26.6 grams (accurate), one person told me and
had seen the coin which is a member of International Bank Notes
Society (IBNS) said that the grading of this is FINE +. and to give
you more information or scanned picture of the coin please email me or
call me on my number.

On the edge of this coin there is a engraved description more or less
like this:

ONE * * DOLLAR * * OR * * UNIT (3 symbols combination of square and
circle)
* * * * HUNDRED (5 symbols combination of square and circle) * * CENTS
* * * *

I don't have money to get it appraised to other country so please help
me. I live in the Philippines.... as far as i know there is no
authorized dealer or authenticator here.

I appreciate your favorable attention to this letter.

Sincerly yours,

Roger Salarzon
Mobile No. 0919-2906935
Cebu City, Philippines

It is almost a certainty that the "coin" you have is a counterfeit. The 1804
dollar is a VERY popular coin to counterfeit, especially in your area. Post a
photo somewhere, and we can likely tell for sure quickly. Most ofthe fakes are
not very good.

alt.binaries.pictures.numismatic is a good place, if you don't have a place to
put it yourself.

If it passes that test, the coin would need to be certified. Some of the
forgeries are quite good, but any of the major grading services will easily spot
those.

But like I said, it's almost certainly a fake.

Bruce

Dr. Richard L. Hall July 25th 03 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL 1804 Liberty Silver Dollar found in the Philippines (HELP ME FIND A BUYER)

The chances of this being an original 1804 silver dollar are remote since,
to my knowledge, all of the known pieces are accounted for. There have been
many, many counterfeits and copies made, however. Chances are this is one of
tehm.

om...

Reid Goldsborough July 25th 03 04:13 PM

wrote:

I have a coin Liberty 1804 Silver Dollar. As i personally assessed the
weight of this coin is 26.6 grams (accurate),

Bogo (counterfeit). This weight is also light, not accurate. The
weight of these coins is 27.0 grams (26.96 to be more precise). Wear
does not wear away 4/10 of a gram of silver. For more on these Bust
dollar bogos, see:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/reidgo...ts/page_7.html

If you can make a photo of yours, perhaps I can add it to this page.

--

Coin Collecting: Consumer Guide: http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom

Arghh! July 25th 03 06:57 PM

x-no-archive:yes (Bruce Hickmott) wrote in message news:3f214266.10095256@newshost...
On 25 Jul 2003 14:39:32 GMT, "Dr. Richard L. Hall" is alleged
to have written:"The chances of this being an original 1804 silver dollar are remote since....",

People... ever hear of the "Nigerian Scam"..... This post is
surley one of the Philippene money scams. Call his # & you will
eventually be in a scheme to send him money for the coin. There are
similar Phillippene money scams involving old $500 bills that were
"stashed in a remote cave" since WWII, & others.........

Auroracoin July 25th 03 07:02 PM

You can buy these in S.E. Asia for
$5-$10..or less if you buy 10 or more....