CollectingBanter

-   Books (http://www.collectingbanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   P.D. James (http://www.collectingbanter.com/showthread.php?t=321731)

Willow Arune[_3_] November 25th 12 06:31 PM

P.D. James

It seems every new P.D. James book is widely distributed yet I have yet to meet anyone who actually reads and enjoys them. Most say they cannot stand Daglish. Any lovers here?

Willow

Don Phillipson[_2_] November 26th 12 01:46 AM

P.D. James

"Willow Arune" wrote in message

It seems every new P.D. James book is widely distributed yet I have yet to
meet
anyone who actually reads and enjoys them. Most say they cannot stand
Dalgeish.
Any lovers here?

No readers just here, although her books make good radio and
TV scripts. But English readers liked her well enough to honour
her as a baroness and she is still active in public life.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Francis A. Miniter[_2_] November 26th 12 02:40 AM

P.D. James

On 11/25/2012 1:31 PM, Willow Arune wrote:
It seems every new P.D. James book is widely distributed yet I have yet to

meet anyone who actually reads and enjoys them. Most say they cannot stand
Daglish. Any lovers here?

Willow

Hi Willow,

I really liked her early novels and the middle ones, up to about The
Murder Room. After that, I felt like I had run into a wall with her.
Suddenly, inventiveness disappeared and formulas abounded. The last one
I read was The Lighthouse and I really disliked it.

One thing, though, that always bothered me. Dagleish (how can anyone
warm up to a protagonist whose name is pronounced "dog leash") is
supposed to be a poet. But show me one line of poetry of his in any of
the novels.

Francis A. Miniter

Willow Arune[_3_] November 26th 12 07:30 AM

P.D. James

Hi Francis,

I have tried, I really have. But perhaps I started with the wrong book. Generally I like British sleuths dating back to gideon of the Yard. And yes, in response to another post, I know she is a Baroness...

Willow

John R. Yamamoto-Wilson November 26th 12 02:34 PM

P.D. James

I kind of like her, but I think she gets paraded too much as the "thinking person's" detective writer (comes of her being the sister of A.S. Byatt, I suppose). I think there are other British crime writers (such as the recently-deceased Reginald Hill) who could fit that bill just as well, or even better.

John

Francis A. Miniter[_2_] November 26th 12 04:12 PM

P.D. James

On 11/26/2012 9:34 AM, John R. Yamamoto-Wilson wrote:
I kind of like her, but I think she gets paraded too much as the "thinking person's" detective writer (comes of her being the sister of A.S. Byatt, I suppose). I think there are other British crime writers (such as the recently-deceased Reginald Hill) who could fit that bill just as well, or even better.

John

It's Margaret Drabble who is Byatt's sister.

Francis A. Miniter

Judith Brenan December 6th 12 07:12 AM

P.D. James

On 11/26/2012 9:34 AM, John R. Yamamoto-Wilson wrote:
I kind of like her, but I think she gets paraded too much as the
"thinking person's" detective writer (comes of her being the sister of
A.S. Byatt, I suppose). I think there are other British crime writers
(such as the recently-deceased Reginald Hill) who could fit that bill
just as well, or even better.

John

It's Margaret Drabble who is Byatt's sister.
Francis A. Miniter

I do agree about Reginald Hill, though. He truly is (or was) the "thinking
person's" mystery writer. His books are a joy.

Judith in NZ