PDA

View Full Version : Re: Observations about Rivet Carts

Larry Blumenfeld
June 25th 03, 04:07 AM
Aaron Bicchieri wrote:

> Daniel & Kathy Gibson wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone else noticed that the tape seems skinnier in these carts?
> > When I splice them, the sensing tape comes right up to the edges of the
> > tape. Just what was RCA up to anyway? Who made these carts for them?
> >
> > Cap'n Dan
>
> I haven't noticed the tape being narrower throughout the loop, but I
> have noticed that quite frequently the tape has been trimmed down at the
> splice on those carts. What it looks like to me is the splice was put
> on, and then someone trimmed the edges with a pair of scissors. Some of
> these babies are WAY narrow at the splice.
>
> I think I remember you mentioning something about people doing splices
> freehand at the factory, without using a splicing block. Maybe that's
> what went on here, and then they just went "snip snip" after the splice.
>
> Is it possible that this is why your splices seem to overhang? Quite
> often what I will do is cut the tape back an inch or so in each
> direction, before splicing, to get back to full-width tape.
>
> AB

Haven't you guys ever heard of the "Gibson Girl" splicer? Danno, you of all
people should know this. The Gibson Girl was a "pinup" from the 1890's who
always had an impossibly thin waist. Robins manufactured a splicer that
trimmed the outer edge of the tape (and splice) into a narrowed curve - like
a "Gibson Girl"s waist. I'm guessin that this is what was used to trim the
splices at the factory. I still have one of these I use from time to time on
open reel tapes.

Happy trails,
Larry B.
(what a pleasure, a post on this group that's actually about 8 tracks...)

Daniel & Kathy Gibson
June 25th 03, 05:01 AM
Larry Blumenfeld wrote:

> Aaron Bicchieri wrote:
>
> > Daniel & Kathy Gibson wrote:
> > >
> > > Has anyone else noticed that the tape seems skinnier in these carts?
> > > When I splice them, the sensing tape comes right up to the edges of the
> > > tape. Just what was RCA up to anyway? Who made these carts for them?
> > >
> > > Cap'n Dan
> >
> > I haven't noticed the tape being narrower throughout the loop, but I
> > have noticed that quite frequently the tape has been trimmed down at the
> > splice on those carts. What it looks like to me is the splice was put
> > on, and then someone trimmed the edges with a pair of scissors. Some of
> > these babies are WAY narrow at the splice.
> >
> > I think I remember you mentioning something about people doing splices
> > freehand at the factory, without using a splicing block. Maybe that's
> > what went on here, and then they just went "snip snip" after the splice.
> >
> > Is it possible that this is why your splices seem to overhang? Quite
> > often what I will do is cut the tape back an inch or so in each
> > direction, before splicing, to get back to full-width tape.
> >
> > AB
>
> Haven't you guys ever heard of the "Gibson Girl" splicer? Danno, you of all
> people should know this. The Gibson Girl was a "pinup" from the 1890's who
> always had an impossibly thin waist. Robins manufactured a splicer that
> trimmed the outer edge of the tape (and splice) into a narrowed curve - like
> a "Gibson Girl"s waist. I'm guessin that this is what was used to trim the
> splices at the factory. I still have one of these I use from time to time on
> open reel tapes.
>
> Happy trails,
> Larry B.
> (what a pleasure, a post on this group that's actually about 8 tracks...)

Gibson girls I know about....the splicer I do not! This may indeed be the
culprit. Any chance of us seening a picture of one?

Danno

--

Daniel and Kathy Gibson
http://www.katestrackshack.com

Larry Blumenfeld
June 26th 03, 03:35 AM
Daniel & Kathy Gibson wrote:

> > Haven't you guys ever heard of the "Gibson Girl" splicer? Danno, you of all
> > people should know this. The Gibson Girl was a "pinup" from the 1890's who
> > always had an impossibly thin waist. Robins manufactured a splicer that
> > trimmed the outer edge of the tape (and splice) into a narrowed curve - like
> > a "Gibson Girl"s waist. I'm guessin that this is what was used to trim the
> > splices at the factory. I still have one of these I use from time to time on
> > open reel tapes.
> >
> > Happy trails,
> > Larry B.
> > (what a pleasure, a post on this group that's actually about 8 tracks...)
>
> Gibson girls I know about....the splicer I do not! This may indeed be the
> culprit. Any chance of us seening a picture of one?
>
> Danno

Well, I don't have a scanner or a digital camera, so here's what I have:

Robins Industries was a manufacturer of tape accessories throughout the 50s and
60s, don't know when they called it quits. My splicer is marked "Stereo 4" - I
believe because it cut a less-narrow "waist" than earlier 2-track models - and
underneath it says "Robins Ind. Corp. - Flushing 56 NY" - so it pre-dates zip
codes. The patent number is 2778420 - maybe you could find it on one of the patent
search sites. It's kind of a cool little gadget - I actually splice free-hand
these days, though...

Happy trails,
Larry B.

Google