PDA

View Full Version : Re: If things couldn't get worse in Bangladesh...

JSTONE9352
August 7th 03, 10:13 PM

>That place is close to hell on earth, in many more ways than one.
>
>Dave Parrish

I once saw a book that rated every country
in the world on its desirability to vacation
there based on quality of hotels, safety
concerns etc. Bangladesh was near the bottom of the list along with
Afghanistan.

One of the places described as a hell hole of a place to visit that some people
might have not have even heard of is French Guiana.

Scottishmoney
August 8th 03, 01:29 AM
JSTONE9352 > wrote in message

> One of the places described as a hell hole of a place to visit that some
people
> might have not have even heard of is French Guiana.

About the only people whom have heard of it, are the ESA Agency personnel at
Kourokou, and the surviving "elite" from Devils Island. Most people don't
know that France borders Brazil, French Guiana is an overseas Department of
France, so is technically France and uses the Euro currency.

Dave

Christian Feldhaus
August 8th 03, 11:52 AM
Scottishmoney > wrote:

> JSTONE9352 > wrote in message
>
> > One of the places described as a hell hole of a place to visit that some
> people
> > might have not have even heard of is French Guiana.
>
> About the only people whom have heard of it, are the ESA Agency personnel at
> Kourokou, and the surviving "elite" from Devils Island. Most people don't
> know that France borders Brazil, French Guiana is an overseas Department of
> France, so is technically France and uses the Euro currency.

Hmm, I would not be that harsh. Almost every time we read/hear about a
launch (or failed launch ...) at Kourou, they mention Guyane and
sometimes show a map :-)

Christian

Darren
August 8th 03, 01:27 PM
On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 08:32:14 -0400, "Scottishmoney"
> wrote:

>We almost never hear anything about the Ariane rockets here, or much serious
>mention of the ESA either. We will ignore them like Boeing and McDonnell
>Douglas ignored Airbus back in the 1970's :0

I think we'd hear more here if this was rec.collecting.large-fireworks
or am I being too literal...?

Scottishmoney
August 8th 03, 01:32 PM
Christian Feldhaus > wrote in message

> Hmm, I would not be that harsh. Almost every time we read/hear about a
> launch (or failed launch ...) at Kourou, they mention Guyane and
> sometimes show a map :-)
>
> Christian

We almost never hear anything about the Ariane rockets here, or much serious
mention of the ESA either. We will ignore them like Boeing and McDonnell
Douglas ignored Airbus back in the 1970's :0

Dave
"They should have seen it coming"

Scottishmoney
August 8th 03, 10:14 PM
Darren > wrote in message

> I think we'd hear more here if this was rec.collecting.large-fireworks
> or am I being too literal...?

Early on in the space race the Soviets and the director of their programme
Sergei Korolyev got lots of laughs at the American Space program, which was
better known then for failure. That the American Explorer got up in 1958
was more dumb luck than anything else.

Face it space travel is dangerous, just when you think you know everything,
something like Columbia back in Feb comes along like million pound lorry to
give you a reality check.

Dave

whohah
August 9th 03, 07:01 AM
Tell me about it. Columbia fell all over my county. I'll never forget that
morning...

Jay in Garrison, TX

< snip >
"> Face it space travel is dangerous, just when you think you know
everything,
> something like Columbia back in Feb comes along like million pound lorry
> give you a reality check.
>
> Dave

Google