PDA

View Full Version : RCA Mark 8 Stereo, NAD power amp comments...

trippin2-8track
November 19th 03, 12:42 PM
Anyone have experience with these decks ?? They have a large wooden
cabinet with built-in speakers on each side, tabletop or bookshelf
player.

The build quality on them is first rate. AC motor, spring steel tape
tensioner like a Roberts 808D or Akai 80D. Remove 5 machine screws
from the bottom, the entire tape transport/player/electronics assembly
slides out the back for service. The power supply transformer is
mounted to the left inside.

I've happened across 2 of them so far, got them both for $5 each. With
a little work they are GREAT players. I keep this last one on top of
my computer desk and play carts while online- it's great for when
others are in the house watching TV and I can't use the big NAD power
amp/Akai setup.

ps- try an Akai player into a pre-amp and NAD power amp- WOW. My
Technics rack has been "retired" after 17 years of faithful service.
The NAD will pump out 400 watts/channel through 2 ohms. BALLSY.

Dan #3
November 20th 03, 04:20 PM
Good little machines - those RCA's. Used to have a pair of 'em - 1
plastic cabinet and 1 wooden cabinet (Both tabletop). The Wood version
I had was equiped with a switch to where the speakers would shut off
and the output jacks on the back would serve at Line outs.
Lost 'em both a few years back due to Divorce. I Hope the Tramp
Chocked on 'em!
Dan #3

(trippin2-8track) wrote in message >...
> Anyone have experience with these decks ?? They have a large wooden
> cabinet with built-in speakers on each side, tabletop or bookshelf
> player.
>
> The build quality on them is first rate. AC motor, spring steel tape
> tensioner like a Roberts 808D or Akai 80D. Remove 5 machine screws
> from the bottom, the entire tape transport/player/electronics assembly
> slides out the back for service. The power supply transformer is
> mounted to the left inside.
>
> I've happened across 2 of them so far, got them both for $5 each. With
> a little work they are GREAT players. I keep this last one on top of
> my computer desk and play carts while online- it's great for when
> others are in the house watching TV and I can't use the big NAD power
> amp/Akai setup.
>
> ps- try an Akai player into a pre-amp and NAD power amp- WOW. My
> Technics rack has been "retired" after 17 years of faithful service.
> The NAD will pump out 400 watts/channel through 2 ohms. BALLSY.

trippin2-8track
November 21st 03, 12:17 PM
YES, this is the wooden unit with a switch on back, shuts the speaks
off and has RCA jacks out. I think you can play into the unit with an
external device also, those jacks may be dual purpose in/out.

It's playing now, Deep Purple In Rock...

Google