PDA

View Full Version : Re: OEM in-dash players

steve suttle
June 29th 03, 05:59 AM
I have a Blaupunkt AM/FM 8 track player in my '76 VW Beetle. Not only
does it play tapes great, it is the best FM radio I've ever had in a
Volkswagen.

trippin2-8track
June 29th 03, 03:09 PM
Back in the day I bought new Craig and Pioneer players for the car.
Pioneer had a slight lead in sound quality. So much so, that I've sold
my original Craig in-dash units (wimpy small motors in them), but kept
the Pioneer (although an underdash)

Blaupunkt was the "top end" car stereo of the time. Much more
expensive than a Pioneer or Craig. If you have one of those, and like
it, wager it is at or near the best in-dash made.

Flip the coin, I bought a nice in-dash no name player for $1 at a flea
mart, chrome face, looked to be Cadillac or Lincoln, but it wouldn't
fit in the 1960-early 70's dash hole. Player too big. That one held
the tape rock solid with no side to side movement, like a home Akai
80D/Roberts 808D does. And it sounded great.

Danspeakin
July 1st 03, 04:38 AM
>Does anyone have info concerning which models/brands of auto
>manufacturer supplied in-dash 8 track stereo/quad players are of the
>best quality and reliability?

If you are talking about OEM and not the after market it is easy.
Ford used Motorola, GM had Delco and Chrysler had a bunch of junk. The German
cars used Blaupunkt. I don't know of any Japanese original 8 track players.
The Delco units are by far the best quality and reliability. I worked on all of
them back in the day and GM 8 tracks are the best.
Dan2

thefladge
July 15th 03, 07:29 AM
(Danspeakin) wrote in message >...
> >Does anyone have info concerning which models/brands of auto
> >manufacturer supplied in-dash 8 track stereo/quad players are of the
> >best quality and reliability?
> >

> If you are talking about OEM and not the after market it is easy.
> Ford used Motorola, GM had Delco and Chrysler had a bunch of junk. The German
> cars used Blaupunkt. I don't know of any Japanese original 8 track players.
> The Delco units are by far the best quality and reliability. I worked on all of
> them back in the day and GM 8 tracks are the best.
> Dan2

I was at a classic car dealership about a year ago and spotted a 1972
Rolls Royce with a factory installed quad 8 track system. Looked
really nice in that shiney wood dash.

Charles

Danspeakin
July 16th 03, 01:51 AM

(Danspeakin) wrote in message
>> >Does anyone have info concerning which models/brands of auto
>> >manufacturer supplied in-dash 8 track stereo/quad players are of the
>> >best quality and reliability?
>> >

>> If you are talking about OEM and not the after market it is easy.
>> Ford used Motorola, GM had Delco and Chrysler had a bunch of junk. The
>German
>> cars used Blaupunkt. I don't know of any Japanese original 8 track players.
>> The Delco units are by far the best quality and reliability. I worked on
>all of
>> them back in the day and GM 8 tracks are the best.
>> Dan2
>
>I was at a classic car dealership about a year ago and spotted a 1972
>Rolls Royce with a factory installed quad 8 track system. Looked
>really nice in that shiney wood dash.
>
>Charles

Rolls Royce used Pioneer Quad Players. I just sold one ot a guy in England who
was restoring a car and needed a Quad to conplete it.
I just got back from a trip to Japan and asked my contact over there if the 8
track format ever got popular in Japan. He says that it never did, in cars
anyway.
Dan 2

Google