PDA

View Full Version : Is this site reliable?

Edwin Chan
September 5th 03, 10:45 AM
Anybody had purchased stamps from the following site before?

Are they reliable?

http://www.zillionsofstamps.com/

Thanks

Edwin Chan

Edwin Chan
September 5th 03, 04:15 PM
Thanks Bob

"Bob Ingraham" > wrote in message
> I've looked at it, and decided that for my purposes it's just incredibly
> tedious. It seems to be little more than a complex and irritating method
of
> linking to dealers who might or might not have what you are looking for,
and
> probably don't have a web site.
>
> Someday, somewhere, someone is going to launch a truly useful stamp sales
> web site that combines good web design with a broad and deep, fully
> illustrated inventory. Some cover dealers have managed to do this (Roy
> Lingen at <http://www.world-postal-history.com> and Jim Forte
> <http://www.postalhistory.com/index.htm> but I'm not holding my breath
> waiting for stamp dealers to follow suit.
>
> Bob Ingraham
>
> > From: "Edwin Chan" >
> > Newsgroups: rec.collecting.stamps.marketplace
> > Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:45:37 +0800
> > Subject: Is this site reliable?
> >
> > Anybody had purchased stamps from the following site before?
> >
> > Are they reliable?
> >
> > http://www.zillionsofstamps.com/
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Edwin Chan

Dakota
September 6th 03, 03:32 PM
Mr. Chan:

> Anybody had purchased stamps from the following site before?
>
> Are they reliable?
>
> http://www.zillionsofstamps.com/

I've purchased from them many times and unlike boB, do not find them
tedious at all. But boB didn't mention ever having bought from any of
the dealers there. He seems only to have looked a the site.

The search engine works fine for me - BUT - it can help if you have a
country specific catalog. The stamp/s you're looking for may not be
available from a dealer who uses the same catalog you use. Sometimes
you have to cross reference into another catalog. Most items are
listed under Scott numbering, but not all.

boB is correct that often you'll find a dealer without a website but
all you have to do is click on the dealer's name and drop a quick
e-mail. On the other hand a lot of dealers who sell there do have
websites.

Through ZOS I've gotten about a dozen or so favorite dealers - some of
them selling out of a corner of their bedroom. It was from some of the
smaller dealers that I got tremendous bargains of 8-10% catalog value.

My only gripe with the site is paging back for a new search. If you
don't do it exactly right you'll have to enter your search criteria
again - and you sometimes have to scroll up or down for the query
button - but all in all this is a lot easier than placing a phone call
or driving off to a dealer in search of that one elusive issue.

I've never had a bit of trouble.

Handshakes,

Dakota

Edwin Chan
September 9th 03, 09:34 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience, it is very useful. Dakota.

"Dakota" > ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
.. .
> Mr. Chan:
>
> > Anybody had purchased stamps from the following site before?
> >
> > Are they reliable?
> >
> > http://www.zillionsofstamps.com/
>
> I've purchased from them many times and unlike boB, do not find them
> tedious at all. But boB didn't mention ever having bought from any of
> the dealers there. He seems only to have looked a the site.
>
> The search engine works fine for me - BUT - it can help if you have a
> country specific catalog. The stamp/s you're looking for may not be
> available from a dealer who uses the same catalog you use. Sometimes
> you have to cross reference into another catalog. Most items are
> listed under Scott numbering, but not all.
>
> boB is correct that often you'll find a dealer without a website but
> all you have to do is click on the dealer's name and drop a quick
> e-mail. On the other hand a lot of dealers who sell there do have
> websites.
>
> Through ZOS I've gotten about a dozen or so favorite dealers - some of
> them selling out of a corner of their bedroom. It was from some of the
> smaller dealers that I got tremendous bargains of 8-10% catalog value.
>
> My only gripe with the site is paging back for a new search. If you
> don't do it exactly right you'll have to enter your search criteria
> again - and you sometimes have to scroll up or down for the query
> button - but all in all this is a lot easier than placing a phone call
> or driving off to a dealer in search of that one elusive issue.
>
> I've never had a bit of trouble.
>
> Handshakes,
>

> Dakota

LN in DC
September 21st 03, 11:42 AM
The question was is the SITE reliable - and the answer to that is a
simple, "Yes". it's operated by the largest philatelic stamp
publication in the US and yes, it is reliable.

Whether the site is tedious to someone and whether the search engine
isn't to someone's liking goes to other, unasked questions and issues
that are subjective. The answers to those questions are dependent
upon one's computer acumen.

One or more of the dealers who pay to post their inventories there
may or may not prove to be reliable, but Linn's and Amos Press isn't
about to let their reputations go downhill by letting a known
unreliable dealer on board or by letting a dealer continue to
subscribe to use the site, if repeated complaints get generated.

Any user of the SITE has got about the best advocate for fair
treatment to complain to - you don't want to be a dealer and be kicked
off such a site by Linns.

Len Nadybal
Washington DC

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 17:45:37 +0800, "Edwin Chan" >
wrote:

>Anybody had purchased stamps from the following site before?
>
>Are they reliable?
>
>http://www.zillionsofstamps.com/
>
>Thanks
>
>Edwin Chan